Sunday, October 29, 2017

Something Wicked Comes ... Soon-ish

  Hello, friends of theatre!  It’s been a while since I’ve graced these pages, and a few things have happened with Trident Theatre since my most recent entry.
     First of all, I want to thank those of you that took the time to attend Trident’s first full-length production, “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) [Revised].”  I’m hoping that those of you that attended enjoy a pang or two of nostalgia from the sore cheeks and guts we may have given you during the one of the performances.  Personally, I consider the production a fantastic success, mainly in that the goal of the production was to entertain.  If nothing else, I would hope attendees would at least have a better understanding of Shakespeare in performance.
  Next, I would like to thank the Sheridan Press for my recognition as one of Sheridan’s “20 under 40.”  I feel truly honored to be amongst such a magnanimous group of individuals that all are working to make Sheridan an even better community.  
  However, I’ve often felt that being recognized for a body of work has something of a dubious pleasure to it.  While I feel grateful for the recognition, I also realize that the standard that earned the recognition is now set, and I hope I can be consistent in the delivery of my product.
  Perhaps this is on my mind now, as I am now frequently met with the same question.  After I finished with “Shakespeare,” and often when I’m seen in public now, I very often have to answer the question: “So, what’s next for Trident?”  While I could leave a preview of coming attractions here, I may only offer a teaser.  I’m working on something akin to a thriller.  
As some of you that may have been following my Trident exploits for a while, you know that one of Trident’s first projects was a classic horror film festival at the WYO.  While that may be something we’d like to repeat in the future, I want to stress again that I’m more of a casual horror film fan.  However, I do love the micro-community built around the multitude of shared experiences in a theater.  For example, during the showing of “Psycho,” there were a few moments upon experiencing an unexpected fright when virtually everyone in attendance jumped at the same time, and came down from the jump at the same time, all reacting to the high of the cocktail of activated neurotransmitters at work.
  But, in that example, the proverbial fourth wall is ever present, mainly in the fact that that reality is projected on a screen.  It is a one-way communication.  There is no direct reaction in the communication from presenter to receiver.  So, I’d like to offer the concept of “fun” tension and fear as a more personal exchange.  Simply put, I want to elicit that same level of tension with the audience in real-time, in an imitation of real life, in the only kind of 3-D that needs no extra charge to be legitimate: on the stage.
  I have a few specific projects in mind, and I don’t hesitate to suggest that all would be compelling.  And, yes - I realize that Halloween has just passed.  But, I refuse to believe that any type of feeling should be relegated to a specific time of year.  Mostly, I would hope that, in the spirit of adventure you, the Sheridan audience, would be as daring as you have been in the past, and step into a theater expecting to have fun ... but maybe a more sinister concoction of fun.

I’ll see you at intermission!

No comments:

Post a Comment