Friday, January 14, 2022

Year in Review 2021

        On January 27, 2021, I published the first episode of "Euripides, Eumenides: A Theatre

History Podcast." I pledged to do a new episode every two weeks, and on January 12, 2022, I

published by 26th episode, which effectively ends my first year in the podcast game. It's been

quite a journey, and one I'm happy to still be taking.

        For the past several years, I've touted shows I've been a part of, or shows that I have

coming up, and I will do that in some of the paragraphs below. I've waxed on a wide range of

topics that all relate back to not only the global theatre situation, but also to how the art is

presented in Sheridan. Again, we are so blessed to have a thriving arts community here, and

it's wonderful to see how it grows and develops.

        The past couple years ... do I even need to say anything about how strange or difficult

they were? So much of our society was challenged by something that seemed impossible to

prevent, and we all just wanted things to resemble some sort of "normalcy." Unfortunately, we

can't pick the times in which we live, we just have to figure out how to maneuver our lives

through the circumstances.

        But, that takes a toll; mentally, physically, emotionally, and socially. There is a reason

people would just rather erase 2020 and 2021 from our collective memories. And, I'm not sure

that we're out of the woods just yet.

        So, in my estimation, there has been a general malaise. Not just in Sheridan, but

everywhere.

        In a webinar I recently attended about podcasting and growing my personal brand, it

was suggested to take an inventory, meaning that each show has certain elements that make it

unique in the business. These should be the selling points. So, here's my inventory for the

year, and these will be the finer points that Trident Theatre plans to focus on until we can

determine that this malaise has subsided.

        Frankly, I believe we need the performing arts to connect us to beauty again, which can

take many forms. But, what I mean by this is that we need to help people find joy again.

        Let me see if I can explain. I'm currently re-watching the HBO series "Westworld," as I

never finished upon initial viewing. For those of you that haven't seen it, I'm not so sure that

the superficial meaning of the word "beauty" could apply. The show is quite dark, quite

gruesome at times, and manages to cram in deep existential thoughts to ponder on long after

an episode is complete. There is very little that is pretty or warm about that show. But, the

beauty I refer to is the impressiveness of the writing, the scale of the production, and the power

inherent in the acting. There is just a lot to admire. So, when the credits roll, I have gone on an

hour-long journey that left me feeling more enriched than when I started, which makes me

happy.

        Now, Trident is not planning to launch anything near the scale of "Westworld." But,

what I can say is that the productions that Trident has been involved with the last year have

helped remind its audiences what is good and right and self-affirming; helping the audiences to

see that in a world of dark, there is still light. Our team-up with the WYO Theater for the

"Rocky Horror Picture Show" got people to feel comfortable in their own skins, and be around

people who felt likewise. I was involved with Aspen Grove Music Studio's "All Together Now,"

which reminded people just how much connection we have on a global scale, rather than

feeling isolated during a time in which many are feeling despair. And, the podcast - if you

haven't enjoyed it yet, there's still time - brings joy and laughter to a subject that, as I say in the

intro to each episode, "... could be considered rather dry and stuffy."

        Frankly, Trident is focusing on the positive. Feel free to join us.


        I'll see you at intermission!

No comments:

Post a Comment