Sunday, November 8, 2015

For archival purposes...

For the past several years, I have been asked to contribute a column every six weeks to an weekly arts insert into our local newspaper, strictly on a volunteer basis.  For me, this has been a way for me to offer constructive criticism and supportive commentary to my fellow thespians in the community.

Recently, in a conversation with a peer, I asked if she'd read my most recent submission to the press, as it not only named her, but spoke in glowing terms about a particular vision she had for a current theatre project on which she'd been working.  She said that she hadn't, that she doesn't really read the paper (or that "nobody" does), and hinted that it was something of a passe method of communication.

I'm not sure that I agree with her entirely.  But, it also made me think that, as an advocate for the inclusion of social media into the performing arts, I could be doing better than just providing these words in print.  I've always felt that theatre was a form of two-way communication, and to limit these discussions to a one-way circuit is not only limiting myself, but not offering the opportunity for further commentary and/or rebuttal.

So, without further ado, I offer this space as an archive of the column submissions for "Scene" from years past.  Please feel free to peruse and comment as you will.  If nothing else, I hope these will inspire some creative discourse.

Ta, for now!

-Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment