Sunday, November 8, 2015

More musings on Improv

For the better part of a year, I have been working with students from Sheridan College’s theatre program on discovering and honing their talents in improvisation.  During our exercises in the last week, a suggestion for one of the scenes was “mad scientist.”  While that gave us not only a few laughs and a lot of inspiration for good scene work, it seemed to be a running theme in our troupe for the next week.  In preparing our upcoming show, I couldn’t help but feel a little like Dr. Frankenstein creating his monster.  And, while I’m fairly certain my creation will not have the same outcome as the lamentable Doctor’s, I can at least say that mine has had similar origins: it is composed of the best parts of several individuals, its getting really comfortable on its own legs, and is quite powerful.
I bring this all up briefly, as our troupe has been preparing a new show as something of an experiment (but, what improv show is not that?).  Laboratory science seems to be a great metaphor for improvisation.  A hypothesis is created, the ingredients are mixed in different concoctions, all meant to produce a desired result, and often many unexpected reactions occur.  However, unlike laboratory science, the results of an improv scene are rarely unfavorable.  As I often tell my students after scenes: “You didn’t fail.  You created something new that has never been seen before and will never be seen again. I’ve just witnessed something that was truly unique!”
Usually, I’ll say this when a scene goes awry, or at least not as expected.  However, I seldom have to say this with these students.  Currently studying the theatre arts, these students are able to create utterly powerful and fascinating scenes, which have often left me aching in the sides from laughter, and/or kept me riveted, wanting to know how everything they’ve put on stage for a single scene will unfold.  I’ve worked with a lot of improv groups in my time, and very few of them have a group mindset like this team has.
One of the most exciting elements about improvisational theatre is the idea that anything can - and often will - happen.  One moment, a man could be asking a woman out on a date, the next, they are fighting an army of Martians on the moon, Earth’s only hope against such a seemingly unstoppable scourge.  But, you only get that far if you team can work and think together.  That old saying, “We can finish each other’s sentences” … we’re getting to the point where we can finish each other’s thoughts!  All right … I may be exaggerating a little; but, it’s truly inspiring.
So, I hope you’ll don your lab coats, and step into our laboratory and give us a try.  We’ve been preparing a romance-themed Valentine’s Day show for you at Sheridan College.  It’ll be a date that will not soon be forgotten.
Our show will begin at 7:30 on Friday, February 14th in the Whitney Presentation Hall on the Sheridan College Main Campus.  If I haven’t enticed you thus far, THE SHOW IS FREE! We will be accepting donations, and all proceeds will go to Sheridan College’s Twisted Stair Theatre club.
So, whether you have plans or not, we’re not planning to take up your whole evening.  We’re shooting for about an hour, so you can take your date out for dessert afterwards.  And, what better way to show off to a date: you’re taking her to the most exclusive show in town.  You’ve got the skinny!  Not just another boring night at the movies!
Of course, if you miss this one, we’ll understand, we have several more shows planned for the spring.  Hopefully we’ll see you there!
As always, I’ll see you at intermission (even if we don’t have one)!

No comments:

Post a Comment