Sunday, November 8, 2015

Looking back on fall 2013

To pay homage to one of my favorite porcine talents, I humbly write: “That’s all, Folks!”
I speak, of course, of the closure of the first half of the local theatre season.  As I observed the Thanksgiving holiday this year, it occurred to me, over the din of silverware and china clanking, over many stories swapped across the turkey and stuffing, over the children beginning to figure out that the holiday might mean more than jamming black olives on their fingers, I was actually able to find a moment in which I could reflect on that which I could be truly grateful.  Mixed in amongst thoughts of unconditional friendships and healthy, safe, and happy families, one item that sprung up was the richness of this fall’s local theatre lineup.  Truly richer than that second piece of pumpkin pie that made most of us feign regret.
I feel quite comfortable in assuming that an institution that most Sheridanites value is that of family.  That being said, it was fascinating to watch two families implode before our very eyes during the Civic Theatre Guild’s production of “God of Carnage.”  I’m a sucker for most Pulitzer Prize-winning plays, but there was something to that play, and the way it pulled back the curtain of civility to expose each person’s inner beasts - well, it made me feel truly honored to be a spectator.  It’s pretty rare nowadays to be subjected to that level of French Existentialism; perhaps that’s what I found so intoxicating.  Perhaps it was simply CTG Board President and “God of Carnage” director Matt Davis and his eclectic style (plaid and cow-print, anyone?).  Could that combination be anything but hypnotic?  Doubtful.
The next thrill came in musical form, as many of your old and new favorites performed “Cabaret” for this year’s gala.  I often debate with myself over which of the performing arts is more visceral; music or theatre.  Combine them - and do it well - and you may as well surrender your guts on a platter as you enter.  Cabaret, simply put, is not any easy play to do or to see.  For the audience, it’s incredibly jarring to watch the gradual downward spiral onstage, as every precursor to Nazism and the Holocaust present themselves, ending with a single light on the Emcee, being abruptly snuffed.  My heart still sinks to think about it.  As I’ve mentioned before in this column, this was Erin Butler’s directorial swan song … and what a way to go out!
Sheridan College’s No Frills Theatre Company made me blow a laugh gasket or two with their production of the classic comedy The Rivals.  From an era of theatre meant to thrill both the high and low (economically and educationally), the cheap laughs and the upper-crust, esoteric guffaws bounced off the walls of the WYO with outstanding aplomb.  For example, it’s rare to see an actor so adept at traversing the emotional spectrum from utter humility to utter degradation within a split second as well as Jacob Claytor.  I can’t wait to see what he’s got in store for us as the lead in Godspell.  If you’re going to planning to see only one show this spring, that’s an excellent candidate!
Finally, I wish to say that I am grateful for the years I’ve spent as the Drama Club Director at Sheridan High School.  As many of you know, I’ve just finished my last season directing the fall play at SHS, and I couldn’t be more proud of my final production, speaking of swan songs.  I think one of the most interesting pieces of criticism for Twelve Angry Jurors came from the grandmother of a cast member: “What was most amazing about this play is that you’ve convinced me that I NEVER want to be on a jury.”  While it was not specifically my aim to evoke my audience into shirking their civic duties, it was quite telling that staging the play in the round amidst that fiery and utterly thrilling cast … well, I guess it got to people.  THAT was my goal.
The past six years have truly been a joy, a privilege at times.  And, I am forever grateful for every moment I spent with the youth on that stage.  
Don’t worry - I’m not going anywhere.  Just resting my heels for a moment.  Just like The Joker, I’ve always got something up my sleeve.

And, I’m grateful to you for continuing to support all of us on the boards.  We wouldn’t do it if it weren’t for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment