Sunday, November 8, 2015

Refuting summer theatre claims

More of a plug for my friends in the community, this entry started to rebut the assumption that summer theatre in Sheridan could not be produced.


    Hello, again my faithful arts-friendly community!  It’s that time again - I’m going to ask you to get your permanent markers out and mark your up calendars.  This summer’s saturated not only with theatrical viewing opportunities, but plenty of vehicles for our local talent to strut their stuff.
    I believe that sometime within the last two years, I graced these pages voicing a mild disappointment.  Since I returned to Sheridan in 2008, I had it on good authority from several direct sources (not to mention personal experience) that summer theatre was simply not something that was “done” too much in Sheridan.  I am pleased to say that I believe the worm is turning.
    Not one to back down on a promise, Habitat for Humanity - under the very capable supervision of director Matt Davis - will be staging its annual “On the Foundation” one-acts, performed literally on the foundation of a house that Habitat is building.  I’ve had the pleasure of participating in this outstanding event twice now (I’ve been invited to participate again this summer), and it just keeps getting better.  This year, this event is on Thursday, July 24th, and tickets can be purchased at Sheridan Stationery.  Ticket prices for this event are a little higher, but all proceeds go directly to Habitat for Humanity, and last I checked, that’s a tax deduction, right?
    Sheridan High School alum and current Brown University student and athlete Emma Hall is bringing a pet project to the Sheridan audience; not to mention one of the most-produced plays of the past decade.  “13” - a musical that pulls back the curtain on modern teen angst, shedding much-needed light on the roles that are thrust upon today’s youth - features music and lyrics by Jason Robert Brown, one of the best new artists in modern musical theatre.  His oeuvre is truly exceptional, and “13” is no exception.  If I can’t sell you on that feature, consider the production crew of the newly-formed Funny Face productions.  At the helm is Hall, with whom I’ve had the pleasure of working in the theatre several times; her theatrical prowess is vast, and always impressive.  Directing the music will be local musical heroes Loretta Tonak on orchestral direction (Loretta’s talent and spirit elevate even the most mundane performances into instantly memorable experiences), and Brekken Baker, another talented SHS alum that recently toured the world with Up With People.  I can’t imagine a more vibrant and well-qualified vocal director to help lead the cast comprised of 24 local youth.  “13” will run for 3 nights only, July 30-August 1 in the Mars Black Box Theatre at the WYO.  Tickets can be purchased at the WYO box office.
    Recent Sheridan College graduate Jacob Claytor has also created a production company that will launch its opus this summer.  “Baby with the Bathwater” is one of playwright Christopher Durang’s earliest plays that easily established him as one of America’s leading comic playwrights.  Cast with several more of Sheridan College’s recent theatre graduates, as well as current students (my favoritism towards their projects is well-documented in my previous entries to this column) this hilarious farce about new parents will run at the Carriage House on July 31-August 2.  But, if you miss it that weekend (because you’re too busy seeing “13”), you’ll get another chance to see it on the following weekend; August 7-9.  Tickets can be purchased at the WYO box office.
    I’m really inspired by these two productions, not only because I’ve worked with these groups and know their potential, but I appreciate the grassroots methods by which these students are getting their shows produced.  They’ve got great promise, but more importantly, the fervent desire to make good art.  What’s not to love?
    Speaking of Sheridan College, theatre instructor DannyLee Hodnett is bringing commedia dell’arte & Shakespeare expert Gerry Hansen out from UC Santa Barbara - for the second summer in a row - to conduct a workshop and performance in her field of expertise, this year poking fun at “Hamlet.”  I had the absolute pleasure to take part in her workshop/production last summer (alas, I won’t be able to participate this year, but I’ll gladly be an audience member), and it was without exaggeration one of the best shows I’ve ever been involved with; which made it even more enjoyable to bring it to an audience.  The performances will August 15-24 in the Mars Black Box Theater at the WYO.
    Lastly, what am I up to?  Right now, graduate studies are consuming my time, but I am keeping somewhat active.  My improv troupe, Pick Your Poison, will be performing in or around the WYO Theater for the remainder of 2014’s Third Thursday festivals.  But, you’ll be hearing more from me as we get closer to November.  I have happily accepted the offer to direct Sheridan College’s mainstage production this fall.  I have selected Brian Friel’s award-winning play “Dancing at Lughnasa,” (pronounced “LOO-nuh-suh”; yes I’m already getting a lot of clever pronunciations), which will also run in the Mars Black Box Theater.  Yes, a lot of quality activity is going on in this new space.  And deservedly so.
    Does anyone still believe Sheridan theatre doesn’t have the opportunity to thrive during the summer?  I suppose this summer will be something of a litmus test, but I beg to differ.  I even left some productions out (sorry, gang - I have only so much space!)

    I’ll see you at intermission!

No comments:

Post a Comment